Above & Beyond
Here you will find ways to earn extra credit that can boost your grade in the class.
Keep in mind that all "above and beyond" points go into the assignments category of your grade and these reset at the end of the quarter.
There are a few limits to how many times you can do a certain option in a given period of time.
There is however no limit to how many total points you can accrue in a quarter.
The following Extra Credit options are available:
- Read a Supplemental Reading Book in a semester for 100 assignment points. Read 1 each quarter for an additional 50 points.
- Complete all or part of the Biology Scavenger Hunt. Pictures should be arranged in a power point type slideshow and should be presented on a USB stick to me before the last day of each semester.
- Attend a study session. Attendance at weekly and test review study sessions will be taken and students will earn 5 points extra class work credit for coming. You must ask a question to earn the 5 extra credit points.
- Read and respond to a science news story. Each submission is worth 5 assignment points. Submit your news story to the following link, and fill in the google form. Articles are due by Friday afternoons at 3 pm. Anything later will go in to your grade next week. The science news story must have been from an article published in the last seven days from submission. Only articles from reputable news sources will be accepted. The links section has many good examples of these. You may only submit 2 articles per week.
- Take a picture/video of yourself doing the Biology Dance moves somewhere recognizable in the world. Students earn 1 assignment point per photo of the dance at a different location. Videos can earn 5 assignment points. If there is an explanation included with the performance of the dance, students can earn 10 assignment points. Email or show the photo/video to Mr. Gillespie to earn the points.
- Join Biology Club and attend meetings. The club meets twice a month in 1107. Students can earn 5 assignment points for each meeting they attend and participate in. Attendance is taken at each meeting and delivered to Mr. Gillespie.
- Come to Review Sessions (every Tuesday after school in 1107) and ask a question.